Sunday, January 10, 2010

Merry Christmas To Me!

It happened.

I got a Le Creuset oval Dutch Oven from Matt for Christmas.  It's even the same color as the Le Creuset stockpot I already had.

I could've died.

In honor of this majestic occurrence, I scoured TasteSpotting for recipes that necessitated a Dutch Oven.  The one I found that utilized ingredients I already had in my kitchen was a recipe for "Chicken Marengo" - or "Poulet à la Marengo" - from a website called Easy French Food (what most people would consider an oxymoron).  The recipe is touted as being both easy and quick ... and while it was relatively simple, it did take a fair amount of time.  I wouldn't exactly throw this together on a weeknight after a hard day's work, but it was an enjoyable weekend adventure.

A few notes:

In place of white wine (which I didn't - and rarely ever do - have on hand), I purged my supply of martini vermouth.  It has a bit of a stronger flavor, but I used less of it than the recipe called for, and it worked great.  I also didn't have any canned diced tomatoes, so I diced up two juicy fresh tomatoes and used those.

Something I felt was missing from the recipe was liquid.  I wanted a bit of a sauce to result from my efforts so that the egg noodles would be coated in flavor.  To this end, I dissolved the called-for bouillon cube in 2 cups of hot tap water and added that to the pan.  The result was great.

The leftovers held us for days, and each day it tasted as good as the day before.  The only thing I would do differently next time is use bone-in chicken with the skin on (which is NOT what the recipe calls for).  The resulting sauce would be that much richer.  I might also add the optional bourbon if I have any on hand.
 

CHICKEN MARENGO (adapted from Easy French Food)

(photo from Easy French Food)

8 pieces chicken, skinned
salt and pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
or 2 diced fresh tomatoes with juices
1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon dried thyme
12 ounces mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parley or basil

1 package egg noodles
2 tablespoons butter

Season the flour with salt and pepper before coating the chicken pieces. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat and add the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on all sides and remove from the skillet.

When all the chicken has been browned, add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for five minutes. Add the white wine (or vermouth) and scrape any bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the skillet into the wine. Add the tomatoes, bouillon cube dissolved in water, and dried thyme, then the browned chicken pieces. Cover the skillet and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

While the mixture simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  When you add the mushrooms to the skillet (see below), add the egg noodles to the water and stir - that way, the two components should be done at around the same time.  After draining the egg noodles, return them to the pot and stir in the butter to coat.

Meanwhile, while the egg noodles boil, add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 15 minutes. If using, stir in the cognac 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Stir in the chopped herb just before serving.

Serve over the egg noodles.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

- M

3 comments:

  1. congrats! your life is now complete. seriously, i am very happy for you :) matt clearly knows his stuff. can we see a picture of the new addition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Rach - this post has been updated with linked picture goodness for your pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was totally sick. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete