Thursday, June 17, 2010

Horticulturally Challenged

Despite my extreme reservations, I decided to bite the bullet and plant an herb garden.

I had a bunch of free time on my hands last month while Matt spent two weeks in China for a wedding, so I called my Mom (the resident Green Thumb) and asked for her help in starting a garden.  She was more than happy to oblige, so we went to Russell's Garden Center in Wayland together to get everything I needed before heading back to my place in Somerville.

It took us a few hours of hard labor to clear the "backyard" (a 6' X 12' patch of ground nestled behind the porch), and then not only did we plant our new purchases, but we uncovered a bunch of great pre-existing plants to boot!  There were rhubarb plants, hostas, creeping flox, and lilies - and that was only in the back.


(Day Three)

The next weekend, Mom came out again and helped me fix up the small, fenced-in gardens on the front and side of the house.  There were many hidden jewels there, too, including a plethora of spearmint that Matt and I later used to make delicious mint juleps (note: beware the hangover).

I've had some touch-and-go moments with the cilantro and parsely, but all in all, things are still looking good.  I've already used almost all of the herbs in my cooking (and drinking!), and the berries and chilis are coming along nicely.

We planted the following:

basil, Thai basil

mint, strawberries
sage
thyme
cilantro
parsely
chives
scallions
Thai chilis
habaneros
melon

I can't wait to see how the fruits and vegetables turn out ...

4 comments:

  1. oooooh, have FUN! I am also very horticulturally challenged, until last summer I had not met a plant I could not kill, but I sucked it up and planted a balcony garden of tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley and some other stuff I can't remember. Point is, I think because it was for EATING and not LOOKING AT (talking to you, stupid houseplants), I actually cared about keeping it alive, and all in all it was a great success. So bravo for giving it a shot, and I think it will turn out great (sounds like it already has - mint juleps are my fav, and I am way jealous of that rhubarb, I LOVE it - rhubarb torte is my fav, but I like it raw too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my apologies for using the phrase "my fav" twice in that post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, these also ruled. Next: Mojito!

    ReplyDelete