Saturday, August 21, 2010

Zucchini, Circa 1950

I tried a really retro recipe today.  It actually didn't strike me just how retro it was until I started trying to think of a title for this entry.

I had two Boston Organics zucchini stragglers in my refrigerator that I was trying to decide what to do with.  I considered some sort of fritter, but I haven't been feeling very well recently, so I wanted to avoid ingesting much oil or egg.  I then remembered a recipe I came across on Tastespotting recently for Stuffed Zucchini with Vegetable Rice and Cheese.  The blog "Zoom Yummy" touted it as "light, healthy, playful, and favorful," and most importantly, "simple."

I mistakenly cooked 1 cup of rice (instead of 1/2 cup) in 1 3/4 cup of broth, so the end result seemed a bit dry.  However, I used half the amount of cheese and just as many vegetables, and those proportions all seemed right - I now just have an extra cup of cooked cheesy rice with which to play around tomorrow (I plan on adding some canned beans and/or rice, reheating, and stuffing into a makeshift veggie burrito).  Pending the success of said burrito, I'm thinking of dedicating a post to the possibilities of leftover rice.  I used leftover rice a while back to make pineapple fried rice with cashews, and that turned out pretty well, so stay tuned ...

ZUCCHINI STUFFED WITH CHEESY VEGETABLE RICE (adapted from Zoom Yummy)
(original photo)

2 zucchini, washed, dried and halved lengthwise
2 tbs olive oil
1 large or 2 small carrot(s), peeled and diced
1 yellow/white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen peas
A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white rice (I used - and suggest - Carolina)
1 3/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a pizza blend with mozzarella and provolone - any mild, melty cheese will do)
1 tbs or so raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Add the broth to a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add the rice and lower to a simmer, covering and cooking until all of the liquid is absorbed (usually around 20 minutes - start checking at 15).

Meanwhile, hold the halved zucchini in your hand, skin side down, and gently scrape the insides out with a spoon.  Collect all of the insides, place into a double-folded paper towel, and squeeze out all of the moisture into your sink or garbage.  Mince.

Cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil.  Lay the zucchini halves, skin side down, on the aluminum foil, drizzle over a bit of olive oil, and distribute evenly with a brush.  Place into the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the onion, garlic, and squeezed and minced zucchini innards.  Soften for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the carrot and peas (you can use a frozen veggie mix here if you'd like - peas, carrots, and corn).  Season lightly with salt and pepper.  Soften for 2 - 3 more minutes.  When the vegetables are soft and fragrant, add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, stir to incorporate, and turn off the heat.

By this time, the zucchini, vegetable mixture, and rice should all be ready.  Remove the zucchini from the oven.  Add the vegetable mixture to the rice, add most of the 1/2 cup of cheese, and stir.

Being careful not to burn yourself, pack the rice mixture into each hollow zucchini half.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese over each and then sprinkle over a few sunflower or pumpkin seeds.  Return to the oven for about 20 minutes.  Once the cheese is melted and almost crispy, remove and allow to cool for a minute or two before serving.

Serves 4.  Nutritional info per half zucchini: 159 calories, 7 g fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 2.5 g monounsaturated fat, 5 g cholesterol, 374 mg sodium, 312 g potassium, 22 g carbs, 2 g dietary fiber, 4.8 g sugar, 6 g protein, 29% daily vitamin A, 37% daily vitamin C, 8.5% daily calcium, 9% daily iron**

[** I do these calculations by hand using internet sources - if you are on a strict diet for any reason, please do not rely solely on these figures!  I am NOT a nutritionist!]

I'm by no means a mother, but this seems like a good way to serve vegetables to your kids.  Otherwise, it's a nice throwback, and a surprisingly healthy comfort food.  Enjoy.

- M

3 comments:

  1. I just posted this one on our facebook page. Look for a little surprise in this week's box! - Thanks - Jeff

    ReplyDelete