Thursday, September 9, 2010

Quick Fix Greens

Matt and I spent Labor Day weekend up in Moretown, VT in a big ol' house with a group of great friends.  I decided to bring our remaining Boston Organics produce along so that it didn't spoil while we were gone, and I ended up cooking a lot while there (which granted me a merciful 15 handicap points for the play-for-the-dishes post-dinner games of Hearts).


Some of us out in the "backyard" on an evening constitutional

One of the dishes I made was a bit of an experiment.  I had a bunch of kale, and figured that cooking it with some boxed rice would simultaneously steam and flavor it.  And so, at the podunk mini-mart in the "center of town," I picked up two boxes of Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice (actually, Gabi paid for it - thanks for footing the bill, Gams!).  About 20 minutes before dinner was ready - marinated swordfish steaks and grilled zucchini, oh my! - I washed the kale, tore it into pieces, and added it to a pot into which I'd already loaded the rice, seasoning packets, and water.  I cooked it for a few minutes longer than the instructions on the back of the box called for, and it turned out quite well.



The ingredients of choice

I will definitely do this again with greens and rice in the future - it was simple, quick, and completely delicious!

- M

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog Morgan. Another great use for Kale is to make Kale Chips. Tear up the kale into pieces and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parmesean cheese, then bake for about 15 minutes or so (depending on how crispy you want them) at about 450. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David! I LOVE kale chips. It's hard to believe they're healthy, they taste so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried a swordfish, but I have heard is really delicious. Is it similar to tuna steaks. Have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete