Tuesday, May 5, 2009

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Matt and I attended a Cinco de Mayo dinner party last night for which I offered to provide salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips (Matt contributed two growlers of beer, which apparently wasn't enough for 5 twenty-somethings). A brief Google search brought me to Simply Recipes: Perfect Guacamole and Mango Salsa.

Due to only semi-ripe mangos (see "How to Select and Store Mangos" for tips I could've used yesterday) and a sub par dicing job on my part, the salsa was merely "good." The guacamole, however ... it was up there with the best I've ever had.

I used haban
ero chilis (no, not "habañero") and decided to include the seeds and the ribs. (NOTE: I'm not 100% sure they were habaneros since the grocery bin was unmarked, but judging by the pictures I've found, it seems to be the closest match.) Aside from the occasional blast, the overall heat factor was excellent.

When I purchased the avocados on Sunday, they were not yet fully ripe. However, time was of the essence and all the other stores were closed, so I figured I'd give the old "ripen in a brown paper bag" trick a try. Much to my excitement, it worked! By the next night, they were ready for scooping. (Vicki and Dumbo were more than happy to lick the spoon when I was done.) The recipe calls for mashing with a fork, but because I was doubling the recipe, a potato masher was much more appropriate.

My final note regarding these two recipes: if you don't have one already, invest in a hand juicer. We use a very simple plastic juicer like this (I honestly don't even know where it came from), though I would imagine the wooden variety would work well too - just make sure to watch for seeds if juicing a non-seedless fruit.

PERFECT GUACAMOLE (adjustments made)


(photo from SimplyRecipes)

5 ripe avocados
1/2 red onion, minced
2 habanero chiles, minced
1 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
4 Tbsp cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Coarsely ground salt (to taste)
A dash of freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

1. Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out of the skin, put in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice at this stage to prevent oxidation.
2. Using a potato masher, mash the avocado. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, peppers, tomato, salt and pepper, and mix. (Exercise caution when cooking with hot peppers; wash your hands thoroughly after handling.)
3. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the guacamole to further prevent oxidation. Refrigerate until ready.

MANGO SALSA
(adjustments made)


(photo from SimplyRecipes)

2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 habanero chile, minced
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (NOTE: scrape out the seeds with a spoon if desired)
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.

- M

1 comment: